Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mack

Copied from my post on EB...

I don't know whether any of you remember me talking about my dog Mack that disappeared NYE because he was frightened of firecrackers......well here is a little about the events of that night. Every year we celebrate NYE at our holiday house down south. Firecrackers are let off and Mack has NEVER liked them. He tried to get into every little corner and curl up but as we were always around him we reassured him that all was ok and by morning he was fine.

Well this year for the first time ever we stayed home (we live on acreage) as we let my DH's uncle and family stay at the holiday house as he has a terminal disease. I fed Mack at about 7pm and told him that I would come and take him inside after he finishes his dinner. I was sitting watching the TV and heard 'one' firecracker. Immediately I run outside but Mack was not to be found. I searched day and night. I made brochures, I got a company 'PetSearch' to help me find my Mack. Absolutely no trace of him whatsoever.

Yesterday I drove into our driveway after going to pick up my meds for IVF and was just about to reverse when I looked to my left and thought I had seen Mack, sure enough it was Mack. Practically 6 months to the day my Mack was home. I screamed and howled like a baby but I was just so happy to have him home.

All was not well with Mack though. He would not look at me and it looked like he either suffered a stroke or got hit by a car so at 7.30pm it was off to the hospital. In the car my MIL was holding him but he was really panting but by the time we got to the hospital he was breathing easier. As he got out of the car he collapsed. They gave him oxygen to keep him going and took a chest x-ray which revealed that his heart was double the size and he had fluid all over his lungs. They indicated that they could give medication which would pro-long his life for a couple weeks but he would be very uncomfortable and someone would need to be with him 24/7 or put him to sleep. I chose the latter.....

I am just so pi$$ed off at myself for everything. I am pi$$ed off that I was not a responsible owner on the night that he went missing. I am pi$$ed off that I only got to spend several hours with him after not seeing him for 6 months. I am at a loss and don't know what to do....

p.s. The story by the people who took him to the vet is a little sus and I believe that they had him all this time and negelected him. I will investigate that a little more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home